Tuesday 13 September 2011

2D Design - Gestalt Animal Painting



This is probably my best painting from 2D design class. (I spent WAY too much time on this!) The assignment was to choose an animal (cheetah being my favourite), and using borders, patterns, symbols and recurring shapes we had to create a balanced composition. This was quite challenging in a way because we had to combine all that we'd learned in the 1st semester and apply it to this final project. 

Again, I created an optical illusion effect that camouflaged the cheetah with hundreds of spots, and this was done entirely with gouache. The first picture (top) is the entire composition, and the one on the bottom is a close up of the detail. Overall I was very pleased with the way this turned out!

Can you find the Map of Africa and 4 hidden African symbols?