Wednesday 19 September 2012

"Haunted" Hallway





Just like the last texturing and lighting assignment, I spent WAY too much time on this one [actually, that's an understatement!]

I worked on this for more than 2 weeks and had to restart about 6 times in terms of the texturing AND lighting. 


Most of the texturing was done in Photoshop [through UV mapping] and it was rendered using the default Maya Software. 

More about this scene:
[I wanted to have morning lighting, only because it was a real challenge as opposed to night lighting, in which there won't be much light at all. The most challenging part was making this look "haunted" or "spooky" only using textures and lights. Of course, some last minute additions were the broken picture frame, the coffin and the ghost silhouette in the background. I had to really consider where the light source was coming from and since there were only 3 windows at the back of the hallway it restricted me a lot when I started lighting the room. Altogether about 10-15 lights were used; 1 main light that acts as the sun, 2 skylights that come in from the two windows at the side, a bounce light for the floor and a bounce light for the ceiling, and several "negative" lights or "shadow" lights to create shadows and areas of darkness. The thing is with all these lights the scene can get messed up, and sometimes things start acting weird, like the fog won't show up, the light starts penetrating through solid objects, etc. Therefore my scene kept getting overcrowded with both too many lights and textures resulting in my recommencement of this project 6 times! And for the texturing, I finally had to unwrap most of the objects like the walls, floor and some props; this gave me much more control over where I want what kind of texture and on which object, so the texturing came out well.]

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my hard work and effort on this scene. [No pain, no gain right?]
Alright, I've said enough!
Let me know what you think...

Enjoy! :)